Wednesday, May 03, 2006

unabashed materialism

I love cooking. This is not to say that I'm an especially great cook. I'm certainly not bad, but given the high expectations you might have if you've tasted my grandmother's or my father's cooking, I'm not amazing. But. There is something incredibly satisfying about creating a meal. It's so...project-based. Last night, I made filet mignon. It was fantastic. You should be very jealous of my roommate.

This love of cooking is tempered by my kitchen. Every time I type kitchen, think of it in quotation marks because it is not so much a "kitchen" as a "hallway between the living room and Amanda's room." And when I say "hallway", I'm not talking about the lovely long passageway you'd find in a normal apartment. I'm talking about a room the size of a large table. There is no counter space. There is no dishwasher. There is not even a double sink.

As you can imagine, this makes cooking...challenging. As does my cookware situation. You see, I suffer from a condition called "being totally broke." So when it was time to buy dishes and pots and pans, I went where so many have gone before: Target. For maybe $30, I picked up a four-setting dish set, plenty of glasses, and an eighty piece kitchen-in-a-box set. This set provided me with a wide array of crappy materials, including a stockpot (of sorts), an alleged Dutch oven and a frying pan.

Three months later, the stockpot has succumbed to the ravages of plaster (from the hole in the ceiling that I DON'T EVEN WANT TO TALK ABOUT) and the frying pan has black bits flaking off it. Furthermore, small children playing tag and extending in a line from base conduct heat better than the bottom of these pots and pans. Y'all. This is no way to live.

I knew I didn't have enough money to truly upgrade my cookware, but, on Sunday, the sweet siren song of Williams-Sonoma drew me into the Time Warner Center and put me face to face with my great new unrequited love: copper cookware.

Look at it! It has beauty (how sweet would it look hanging from hooks in my imaginary large kitchen?), brains (copper! it conducts heat in such a beautifully even fashion!), and brawn (yo, it's heavy). We could be so happy together. Sauteeing. Frying. Making any number of fantastic treats. Ours could be a love to last a lifetime.

Like so many potential great loves of my life, however, copper cookware is out of my league. This set of three pots and pans costs $500. On sale. Oh, copper cookware. The society ladies of the Upper East Side may possess you, but you will always have my heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home