Wednesday, May 03, 2006

an open letter

Dear Fairway at 72 and Broadway,

Fairway, I love you. You're so reasonably priced and you have such a fantastic selection. Once, my grandpa took me to visit you and we got 8-10 bags full of fancy groceries (proscuitto! chevre! filet mignon!) and it was only $125! How much would it have cost at Whole Foods? At least $300. And the food was so delicious and you don't overcharge for organics and your butchers are so helpful. I especially love the Harlem Fairway because they have a cold room. You have to put on a special jacket! It's like a little adventure! Even though it isn't nearly as awesome, I do love your little branch on 72 and Broadway. Their cheese section is awesome.

But. But. But. There are a couple of issues.

First of all, who designed this store? There is no rhyme or reason. You can't go up and down the aisles systematically. In order to get to the meat section or the cleaning supplies or pasta or beer or cookies, you have to make a right turn from the part of the store featuring the produce and the bakery and the cheese. Why would you design a store this way?

Furthermore, I have never seen such narrow aisles. There can be only one lane of grocery carts at any given time, so even under the best of circumstances, there are going to be collisions.

All of this would not be such a problem were it not for the people. You have to believe me when I say this: I have never seen such rudeness in my life. At you, the Fairway on 72 and Broadway, I have seen people actually shove each other. I have seen people cry. I have seen tiny, sweet-looking old Jewish ladies scream at the poor teenage cashiers. It is, to say the least, a nightmare.

Fairway at 72 and Broadway, I want to love you so much. Please stop making it so hard for me.

Your friend,
Leila

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home