Wednesday, May 03, 2006

ways to make me see your movie

Embarassingly enough, the trailers are usually my favorite part of going to the movies. No matter how excited I am for the movie I'm about to see, I'm always more excited to hear about movies I might see in the future.

I'm also unusually susceptible to cheap tricks used by trailers. For the edification of any readers so employed, I present a brief list of Trailer Tricks That Will Make Me See Your Movie.

1) People (particularly families) Dancing in Unison. This is how I ended up seeing Stepmom. When the preview shows people dancing in unison, particularly if they're family members and particularly if it looks like they might be dancing to some sort of Motown song, it touches some weird, primal chick-flick gene somewhere within me and I have to see the movie. This has led to some regrettable decisions.

2) BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. BOOM. BOOMBOOMBOOMBOOM. (imageimageimageimage). I think this trick was most recently used in the trailer for Memoirs of a Geisha. It is clearly being used to indicate a sense of momentum...a sense of momentum that totally lures me in. I know that this trick has failed me many times before, but I still fall for it 95% of the time.

3) Use of the Following Songs: "I'll Take You There" by the Staple Singers. "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)" which Google swears is by Natalie Cole. "As" by Stevie Wonder. "I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever) by Stevie Wonder. Really, any pre-1980 Stevie Wonder song. Again, this touches the primal chick-flick nerve and means that my mother and I will be seeing this movie on Christmas. This may also be why I've seen this more than once. Well, the trailer only accounts for the first time. The second time was an unfortunate combination of the flu, HBO and my abiding love for Taye Diggs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home