Wednesday, May 03, 2006

the year of wanting a book deal

In the past two months, I have read Julie and Julia, The Year of Yes, and The Know-It-All, memoirs in which the authors spend a year making every recipe in Mastering the Art of French Cooking, agreeing to go on a date whenever asked, and reading the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica, respectively. In tribute, I present a list of Things I Have Considered Doing for a Year, for the Sole Purpose of Garnering a Book Deal:

-Completing every activity suggested in the Childcraft Encyclopedia (note: Helen and I actually registered a blog for this purpose. It contains exactly no entries)
-Making every recipe in Marcella Hazan's Classic Italian Cooking. Sadly, Marcella and Leila is not as good of a title as Julie and Julia
-Eating only foods that can be grown in my northern-facing Manhattan apartment (basil, tomato, mold)
-Spending a week in the capital city of each U.S. state
-Watching each episode of every reality television show on the air
-Reading every play in the New York Library of Performing Arts
-Refusing to leave the confines of Manhattan
-Making all my own clothes
-Following all the dictates of the original Emily Post guide to manners
-Throwing a party every night
-Seeing every movie that opens in a year

In all liklihood, I will be too lazy to do any of these things, and will instead pursue my regular method of trying to get a book deal: wishing when I throw pennies in the fountain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home