Wednesday, May 03, 2006

a civics lesson

A conversation between myself and the little girl I watch.

The Little One: I think that it's a very important job to be the President.
Me: That's very true. Would you like to be the President someday?
TLO: Mmm...no. I think it's a boy job.
Me: That's not true! There haven't been any women presidents yet, but you know what? I bet that's all going to change soon, maybe even by the time you're old enough to vote. You know who I think is going to run for President?
TLO: Who?
Me: Senator Clinton.
TLO: I know her! Her husband was already the President, so I think she already knows how to be the President.
Me: Yep! And if she became President, Bill Clinton would be the First Gentleman.
TLO: Cool! Maybe I will be the President someday.
Me: Well, I would definitely vote for you. Except maybe if you were a Republican.
TLO: What's a Republican?
Me: There are sort of two teams in American government. One is the Democrats, like the Clintons, and the other is the Republicans, like our president now, George Bush.
TLO: Oh! Does Republican mean bad person?
Me: (trying not to laugh) Not neccessarily. They just believe different things than I do.
TLO: In kindergarten, we voted for President!
Me: Oh yeah? Who did you vote for?
TLO: The one who wasn't George Bush.
Me: John Kerry?
TLO: Leila, John Kerry is dead.
Me: What? No, he's not. He just lost the election. They don't kill you when you lose.
TLO: No, John Kerry was the first President.
Me: Buddy, I think you're thinking of George Washington.
TLO: Once, America was at war with itself.
Me: That's true! The Civil War.
TLO: Abraham Lincoln was the President then. He had a best friend named Walt Whitman. I think that they probably sit together in Heaven.
Me: That's a lovely way to think about it.
TLO: Oh captain, my captain!!!! Walt Whitman is my favorite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home