Thursday, May 25, 2006

project runway people, call me!

I didn't realize that apparently, if one directly addresses the staff of America's Next Top Model, they will respond. Last night, I got the opportunity to talk to Danielle Evans, the newest winner of Top Model. Aside from winning my heart right off the bat when she said that she's mostly been sleeping in the six months since the competition ended, she was incredibly nice, very well-spoken, and much more honest and straightforward than I expected her to be. While she certainly wasn't biting the hand that swathes her in designer clothing, she was plenty willing to admit some of her frustrations with the process. Although, for example, she is glad that she met the judges and producers halfway on the closing of the gap between her two front teeth, she doesn't think that closing the gap is what caused her to win the competition. She also expressed some frustration that, although the judges hounded her about her accent, they not only failed to offer to provide a coach, but also didn't acknowledge the difficulty of changing her accent while she had no access to television or radio. Danielle was a little too polite to take this thought to its logical conclusion: namely, that this left only her fellow contestants as speech models and they were certainly wildly inappropriate ones. Although I continue to think that Cover Girl is kind of ruining Top Model by making it too commercial, I'm secretly kind of looking forward to Danielle's "My Life as a Cover Girl" segments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home